[su_carousel source=”media: 5003,5002,5001,5000,4999,4998,4997,4996,4995,4994,4993,4992,4991,4990,4989,4988,4986,4985,4984,5009″ limit=”100″ link=”lightbox” title=”no” autoplay=”3000″][su_slider source=”media: 4113,4166,4165,4164,4163,4162,4161,4160,4159,4158,4157,4156,4155,4154,4153,4152,4151,4150,4149,4148,4147,4146,4145,4144,4143,4142,4141,4140,4139,4138,4137,4136,4135,4134,4133,4132,4131,4130,4129,4128,4127,4126,4125,4124,4123,4122,4121,4120,4119,4118,4117,4116,4115,4114″ link=”image”][/su_carousel]
Pegasus Bay is on the east coast of the South Island of New Zealand.
The Pegasus was the name of the sailing ship which surveyed part of the South Island in 1809. The first mate of the brig Pegasus, William Stewart, gave Pegasus Bay its name. The captain of the ship, Captain Samuel Chase (not to be confused with his contemporary, Captain Samuel Rodman Chace),lays claim to correcting James Cook‘s charts by determining that “Banks Island” was in fact a peninsula.
The MV Pegasus Bay was also the final name of a container ship that operated with a variety of owners from 1978 to 2002. It was made into a Triang model ship under another name, MV City of Durban.